If you want to be happy in your career, research says you need to find a job that suits your personality, meets your needs and helps you to achieve your personal goals. The next question that should hit your mind is do I know my personality? Am I aware of my needs and Personal goals? How do I match my personality and career? To meet global demands many newer careers have opened up opportunities for young adults to follow their dreams. Your parents did not have the luxury to choose their jobs back then, but today, you can!
Ideally, you should make a choice of career by the following steps:
Step 1: Assess your true abilities, interests and personality values. No one knows your needs and personal goals better that you do. But sometimes we may need a little help from someone experienced in the field to unleash the goldmine. You can take the help of professional career counsellors or do a through self-analysis.
Step 2: Based on your Interests make a primary list of careers. See to it that these careers are in sync with your personality and abilities. This will automatically breed Involvement and Motivation on your part making you thrive in your career and not merely survive.
Step 3: Now explore all the careers in your primary list. Learn about the job profiles, requirements, prospects, how to develop your career, a typical day in the life of the professional. Interact with professionals working in the fields, access information on the careers and read as much as you can on the careers.
Step 4: After you have collected adequate information about the careers in your primary list, select the one, which suits you most. Finding a career that suits your personality and Interests and of course aptitude makes you look forward to each day at work.
So What’s your Personality?
While there is no good or bad personality type, there are certain jobs that suit one personality better than another. For eg: If you are he nurturing and humanitarian type of person, a job in the bank, which has a lot of work pressure and sales, will surely break your spirit.
Personality also depends on the strengths and weaknesses of the individual. For instance if you are a shy and introverted person, you may not do well in a position that requires delivering frequent presentations to senior management or to a bunch of employees in the board room.
How do you identify your Needs and Personal goals to suit your personality?
No one knows your needs and personal goals better that you do. But sometimes we may need a little help from someone experienced in the field to unleash the goldmine.
• Self-assessment is a process by which you learn more about yourself. Make a list of what you like, what you don't like, and how you tend to react to certain situations. Be honest with yourself, and you will begin to have a good idea of the types of jobs that may or may not work for you.
• Psychometric tests or a Career Guidance Workshop can give you good information on your personality on which you can base your Decision Making. Understanding what you enjoy doing, helps you aim for occupations that match your talents and interests. And if you know what you dislike, it's easier to avoid jobs where those features predominate.
The more you understand yourself, the easier it is to make the right choices – it's an interesting and enjoyable journey.
How do you find a job that suits your personality?
Finding a job that suits your personality makes you look forward to each day at work. You don’t suffer from the Morning Pangs or Sunday blues. You tend to put in more than what is expected of you and that leads to overall development of Company and Self-goals. Hence promotions are faster and life suddenly has more UP’s than Down’s.
• Gather Information: When in doubt, go straight to the experts. A lot of books are available in the market on different types of careers, personal needs and goals. Usha Albuquerque, Kum Kum Tandon, A K Dasgupta are all good Indian Career authors. Another way to help you to decide what you want to do when you graduate is to look at what other students with your degree have done. Do you see yourself doing the same things.
• Network: It’s always a good idea to get to know people in careers or jobs you would like to choose. Talk to them and get their opinions about their job. Don't be afraid to ask them questions. If they are happy, it could be an indication that you would be as well. But remember everyone is unique and personalities differ greatly. Don’t be limited by what other people think. Use all the advice and information at your disposal to make a decision that is right for you
• Understand the Job: Jobs can be basically divided into 4 categories viz PEOPLE, IDEAS, DATA & THINGS. If you enjoy working with “People” a job in Marketing or Education will suit you well. Those who love ideas could focus in areas like design or legal services. Now look at your current job and compare it with the 4 categories and your personality.
• Understand Organization goals: Before you understand what role you play in the company, first understand the goal of the organization. Because unless you are aware of the overall business goal, how will you possibly work towards it. Check and see if the Organisation goals are in sync with your personal goals.
• Making a compromise: Remember, as in other areas of life, a compromise is often needed in the hope of getting what you truly desire. You should be able to prioritize your needs and be aware of how much you are willing to trade off. For example: If the pay package is good, most people are willing to make a compromise on their personality suiting the job or working abroad. But be aware of the compromise you are making because at the end of the day, you have yourself to face. And it won’t be a pleasant site, if you’ve traded more than what you’ve bargained for!
• Work as an Apprentice: Become an apprentice to someone who is a master of the skills. This experience will help you to get a feel of how things are done. Check and see if it’s in line with your needs and personal goals.
Just a thought…
It’s one thing to dream what you want to do and quite another to fulfil it. Get the necessary information by scanning the net or drop in at Youngbuzz for a career counselling session @ 24904111or log onto www.youngbuzz.com for an insight into different careers.