Manmohan kaurFeb 17, 2012
i want eo know abt the study visa in gwrmany...is there also spouse visa available..?
YoungBuzz Studyabroad Counselor - Dear Manmohan,
The visa for purposes of study will be issued if you have already been accepted to study in Germany. The study applicant visa (Studienbewerber-Visum) permits you to enter the country before the admission decision by the university or college, in order to obtain information on the spot. The university applicant visa is particularly important for applicants to the Hochschule für Musik and Theater (College of Music and Drama), so that you can enter the country for the entrance examination. And this type of visa may also be useful to applicants who wish to improve their language skills in Germany before starting their studies. The study applicant visa is limited to three months, but it can be converted to a visa for study purposes if you receive your admission from the university or college during this period.

For both types of visas it is necessary to hold a valid passport, to provide proof of financial means for your period of study in Germany, and to have either university admission (visa for purposes of study) or at least a confirmation of your status as an applicant (study applicant visa).

Those who intend to study and enter the country on a study applicant visa should also note that they must provide evidence of a university or college place in Germany within the prescribed period of three months, in order to obtain a residence permit for study purposes.

Applying for Visas for Academic Studies or Language Courses in Germany

In order to receive your visa in good time, please note the following three points:

1. Submit your application with all accompanying documents at least eight weeks before your planned trip to Germany;
2. Fill in the application form and bring it with the complete set of documents to the Embassy;
3. Should you have any queries, please contact the Cultural Section at the Embassy in Singapore, which is responsible for your area.
You may be issued with one of three types of visa:

1) student applicant visa (if you do not yet have a certificate of admission to higher education or of confirmation of application);

2) student visa (if you have a certificate of admission to higher education or of confirmation of application);

3) visa for participation in a language course (if you only wish to attend a language course in Germany).

N.B.: If you intend to begin studies in Germany immediately after your language course ends, you must apply for either a student visa or a student applicant visa before arrival in Germany, otherwise you will have to leave Germany at the end of the course and reapply from Singapore. The visa for a language course cannot be converted into a student visa or a student applicant visa in Germany!

1) For the student applicant visa you will need the following basic documents:

a valid passport and 2 passport photographs;
proof of possession of a school leaving certificate, i.e. A-level certificate, entitling you to study in both Singapore and Germany (or to visit a preparatory course in Germany)
as well as, where necessary

proof of previous studies;
proof that you already possess German-language skills or that you plan to attend an intensive language course (at least 20 hours per week) in Germany;
proof of sufficient funds to finance your period of study.
You may either

a) finance yourself or

b) nominate one or more persons who will assume the full costs.

You must supply evidence that sufficient funds per months or a sum covering at least one year's study are available (e.g. own funds) equal to the highest German student loan level (BaföG), i.e. currently about DM 1,000 per month.

N.B.: As a student in Germany you may as a rule work for a maximum of 3 months and, depending on where you study, only during recess periods (e.g. semester holidays).

(1) If you are financed by a sponsor in your home country, that person must declare his/her willingness to cover all your costs during the standard period of study (proof of a minimum monthly income of 4,000 S$ (by means of local documents such as tax receipts, bank statements, certificates of employment, pay slips, Commercial Register excerpts).

(2) If you are financed by a sponsor in Germany, that person must submit a binding declaration that he/she is willing to cover all your costs during the standard period of study.

(3) If you receive a scholarship you must produce a letter of confirmation to this effect.

In all cases it must be certain that you will have a monthly sum available to you directly in Germany.

2) For the student visa you will in principle need all documents listed under 1) above, except that

- instead of the school leaving certificate, i.e. A-level certificate, you must enclose the certificate of admission to higher education or of confirmation of application.

N.B.: You may normally only send for your family later to live with you in Germany in exceptional cases, e.g. if you are scholarship holder or on a postgraduate course. In these cases you must be able at least to support yourself and your family, have sufficient accomodation for your family, and already be registered at a German higher education institution.

Please take your time and do not hesitate to contact the Cultural and Consular Sections of your local Embassy for further detailed advice on any questions you may have regarding your planned studies in Germany.

3) For the visa for participation in a language course you will basically need the following documents:

a valid passport and 2 passport photographs
proof that you have registered for a language course (e.g. certificate of registration, receipt of course fees)
proof that you will be covered by health insurance for the duration of your stay in Germany
proof that you are able to finance your stay and the course (using your own funds or via third parties).
Feb 17, 2012

LogIn to post comment

Click here to view more questions on Study Abroad Wall