I'm doing my MBA Ist year and the in next year I’ve to choose the area of specialisation. My friends and also my parents are advising me to go for a specialisation in finance, as it has lot of opportunities in India as well as abroad. But I’m interested in HR, I'd like to know if there are opportunities for HR in India and in foreign countries. Can you provide the relevant information for commerce and engineering graduates?
Of course there are a lot of opportunities in HR in India as well as in foreign countries. In fact, HR has become a critical issue in managing a business. In the past HR professionals were involved in routine functions only and their roles were advisory in nature. But with the realisation that manpower is the biggest asset in a business, HR functions have gone beyond just being a routine function. HR has become a key strategic function in a company. In absolute numbers, the no. of jobs in Finance could be more than the no. of jobs in HR but nonetheless, you can have very good opportunities in HR. Here are some examples of organisations where you can find a job in HR:
* Corporate organisation in both the public and private sector and in the companies run by the governments
* Hotels, travel and tourism firms, financial services organisations and other service sector organisations.
* HRD consulting organisations and recruiting consultants
* Management Consultant Organisations
* Non-governmental Organisations (NGO)
* University departments and Management institutions as faculty members
It does not matter whether you have a background in Humanities, Commerce, Science or Engineering. You can be in HR without any problem.