Working as a speech therapist and audiologist would require immense dedication, hard work, patience and the willingness to put in long hours at a stretch, when the need arises.
Speech therapists work with patients of all ages. Adapting to the needs of patients from different age groups requires tremendous patience and understanding. Clarity of verbal language, diction and tone are important for this profession. Ability to plan, coordinate, keep records, and monitor progress is required. A scientific bent of mind and the power of reasoning and observation are needed.
Speech therapists need to have good communication and administration skills. They also need to have teaching, planning and research skills, and skill in diagnosing speech, language and swallowing problems.
The knowledge of a speech therapist is constantly being challenged because no two patients are ever the same. So they have to decide on the most appropriate treatment for each person.
Speech therapists need to be patient and supportive, as well as friendly and creative. They need to enjoy spending time with people of all ages, cultural backgrounds and lifestyles. They also need to be practical and able to make good judgments.
Science students can opt for PCB in class XII followed by B.Sc. in Speech Therapy and Audiology, and then post graduation in the subject.
Here is a list of some of the institutes
* Topiwala National Medical College & Hospital. (Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nasik), Mumbai Central, Mumbai 400 008
Course: Bachelor of Speech, Hearing, and Language
Duration: 4 years
* Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped, Mumbai and Delhi
1.Course Name: B.Sc. (HLS) - Bachelor Degree in Hearing, Language and Speech Duration: 4 years
2. Course Name: M.ASLP - Master's Degree in Audiology, Speech and Language Pathology
Eligibility: B.Sc. (Audiology & Speech Therapy)
Duration: 2 years
* Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research, Sector-12, Chandigarh, Pin- 160 012
Courses Offered: 1) B.Sc. Audiology & Speech Therapy
Duration: 3 years
2) M.Sc. Speech & Hearing
Duration: 2 years
* All India Institute of Speech & Hearing, Manasa Gangothri, Mysore-576006
Course: B.Sc. & M.Sc. (Speech & Hearing)
* This list is indicative not exhaustive.