I am doing my FYBCom. I want to build my career in Finance. What are the different options and what should I study to do those?
After completion of your graduation in commerce, you can go for a career in Finance.
Here’s a list of careers in Finance that you can opt for after your graduation in Commerce.
1. Chartered Accountant - As a Chartered accountant you will compile, analyze, audit and make final and statutory presentation of financial records, such as Trial Balance, Balance sheet, Profit & Loss Accounts, Fund flow statements, Receipts & Payment Statements, etc. You will also do the tax planning and finalize the provision for taxation.
To become a Chartered Accountant, you will have to complete the course on Chartered Accountancy conducted by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI).
2. Banker - Bankers saves money of various individuals, organizations, and institutions, pay interest on the amount of money saved, invest the money in various financial instrumentation, earn interests, advances money to individuals, organizations, and institutions, and carry out financial transactions.
The best way to get into banking is to acquire a MBA with specialisation in Finance. You can also appear for Bank probationary examinations and be an Officer with a nationalised bank.
3. Equity Research Analyst - Equity Research Analysts specialise in research and help corporate to make better financial investments. They also interview executives of companies, make field visits, conduct market research, etc.
If you have an MBA in Finance, or you are a Chartered Accountant or Chartered Financial Analyst then you qualify for the post of an Equity Research Analyst. Other accepted qualifications include Master of Business Finance, Master of Finance & Control and postgraduate diploma in Equity Research and Analysis offered by The Institute of Chartered Financial Analyst of India at Hyderabad.
4. Forex Dealer – As a Forex dealer, you will buy and sell foreign currencies in the international money market and aim to gain a profit from the total amount of money sold and bought.
After graduation you can opt for a MBA in Finance. On getting a job, you will be inducted in the dealing room after undergoing training programme of Bourse or Foreign Exchange Bourse conducted by RBI's Bankers Training College.
5. Investment Banker - An investment banker deals with corporate houses, managing shares and capital formation of a company. They also manage capital market operations on behalf of the company.
A Degree in MBA with specialisation in Finance or Chartered Accountancy is preferred for this career.
6. Stock Broker – Stock brokers buy and sell equities in the floor of a stock market like Bombay Stock Exchange.
A graduation degree is sufficient to get into stock broking but you may do weel with a MBA with specialisation in Finance. A Certificate in Stock Broking is also a necessity.
You can also go for other job oriented courses in finance after your graduation like the Certified Financial Planning, Certified Management Accountancy and Chartered Financial Analysis. You can also do the course from I.C.W.A. for Cost and Works Accountancy.