Currently, I'm studying in FYJC in the Science stream. I want some information on Bio-Technology. What is the procedure for entering this field, the subjects involved in it and the names of the institutes that provide education in this field. Also what is your opinion about the future in the field of bio-technology?
Biotechnology is the technology that uses living organisms or substances obtained from living organisms to make product of value to man kind & to improve plants & animals for specific use is emerging as one of the challenging careers for graduates from science streams. Biotechnology is a multidisciplinary area in educational scene evolved from the integrated use of life sciences, chemical sciences and engineering sciences. Microbial Biotechnology, Plant Biotechnology and Animal Biotechnology based on the kind of biological agent involved are some of the branches of Biotechnology. Genetic Engineering, the popular of branch of Biotechnology includes recombinant DNA technology, protoplast fusion, hybridoma technology, cell culture, issue culture, germplasm development, embryo transfer technology, enzyme and protein engineering, Fermentation, biconversion and immobilization of cells and cellular products.
Biotechnology has immense potential & has so may commercial applications for use in agriculture, forestry, horticulture, medicine, health, chemical industry, food industry, pollution control and environment.
M.Sc. Programme In Biotechnology
Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi a combined Entrance Examination for Admission for 2-year M.Sc Programme in Biotechnology for the following participating University namely;
1. Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
2. Calcutta University, Kerala
3. Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore
4. Goa University, Goa
5. G.B Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar (Nainital)
6. Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar
7. Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla
8. University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
9. Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
10. M.S. University of Baroda, Baroda
11. Madurai Kamraj University, Madurai
12. Punjab University, Chandigarh
13. Pondichery University, Pondicherry
14. Poona University, Pune
15. Punjabi University, Patiala
16. Tezpur University, Tezpur (Assam)
Eligibility: Bachelor's degree under the 10+2+3 pattern of education in Physical Science, Biological Sciences, Pharmacy, Agriculture, Veterinary Science, Fishery Science or Bachelor's Degree in Engineering/ Technology or Medicine (MBBS) or B.D.S. with 55 % marks.
Scholarships: There is a provision of scholarships to students selected for admission to M.Sc Biotechnology Programme.