I am a fourth year law student in Pune. Except for court practice, I am not aware of other careers as a lawyer. Please tell me about them? Is the career lucrative? Please tell me about the scope and future prospects?
As a law graduate, you can find employment
* In Solicitor firms specialising in Corporate Law/Criminal law/Income Tax law/Real estate law and other specialised areas of law.
* You could first practice as a junior lawyer under a senior lawyer and then become an independent corporate or criminal lawyer.
* In legal and secretarial department of a company
* In government judicial services like Central Government Legal Services and State Government legal services, Intelligent services like in CBI, etc.
* Defence services like Army Law cadres
* In management consultant firms
* In corporate auditing firms
* Notaries - they are public officers appointed by State Government to draft, authenticate and certify various types of deeds and documents
* Journalism - to write on legal matter and issues in various newspapers and law magazines.
* Publishing - publishing of law books and journals is quite a big industry. You could work as editorial assistants with the publishers and then with experience become Co-ordinators.
* In teaching institutions - you can get a job as faculty members or as research associates. Possible if you have a Master (LL.M) or higher degree.
A career in law has always been sought after, very respectable and paying. Growth in your career entirely depends on your performance, which builds up your reputation. Reputation will get you clients and thus build up your career. After a few years in the session courts, you can enroll yourself in the high court with recommendation from an attorney on the rolls of the High court. Practicing in High court will bring you more money and reputation.
More and more jobs are opening up in the corporate sector as well. With Multinational companies setting up base in India in large numbers the competition is high and so are the legal issues, legal implications of corporate decisions, disputes, and claims. All this adds up to the opportunities for aspiring lawyers like you.