I am doing MBBS. I am interested in Forensic Medicine as my specialisation after MBBS. What are the job prospects of Forensic Medicine? Which medical colleges offer MD in this course? What is the admission procedure?
Job opportunities are very limited. You will mainly get jobs as Medical officers in the Forensic Medicine departments of hospitals or in the State Health services or with the National Institute of Criminology and Forensic Sciences as Scientist. You can also get a job as a tutor with a medical college. We are not sure of what kind of business you are talking about. In India, no private organisation is allowed to carry out forensic analysis like in the UK. Many medical colleges offer MD in Forensic Medicine but total no. of seats all over India is around 80 per year only. Some of the medical colleges, which offer MD in Forensic Medicine, are: Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Aligarh 202 002 Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Sevagram, Wardha 442102 Grant Medical College, Byculla, Mumbai 400 008 Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, Karnataka Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad 500 001 Guntur Medical College, Guntur 522 001 Rangaraja Medical College, Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh Gandhi Medical College, Hyderabad 500 001 Kakatiya Medical College, Warangal 506 007 All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110 029 Admission to about 85% of the total seats is made through the direct admission process of health Universities or Faculty of Medicine of various State Universities. The other 15% seats are filled up by an all India common entrance test for admission to post graduate medical courses conducted by All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. Autonomous institutions like All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi fill up 85% of the seats through their own admission process.