I am Dr. Pradeep P. Raut, MBBS, DCH, DNB (Pediatrics). Presently I am working as Class II Medical Officer in ESIS hospital, Kandivli, through MPSC selection. I want to progress towards the health/hospital administration. Please help me regarding the following: 1. In Bombay where are government and university recognised health/hospital management courses conducted and what is their admission procedure, contact address, etc.? 2. Are there exams for health administration? Where should one apply? When? 3. Is there any way I can join the World Health Organisation or any other equivalent organisation as CRY, UNICEF 4. Will a diploma in Human Resources Management be of any use to me? 5. Do you know of any interdepartmental exams that I can take up? Please inform me of any agency or person who can guide me towards my goals.
1) You can do a Master of Hospital Administration/Master of Health Administration from:
Tata Institute of Social Sciences,
Post Box No. 8313, Deonar,
Eligibility: Bachelor's degree with 50 percent.
Admission is done through an admission test and interview.
Admission notification appears between December and January in leading newspapers.
2. For getting into health administration in the government sector, you can appear for the Combined Medical Services examination conducted by UPSC.
Eligibility: Age below 30. Minimum qualifying requirement is MBBS.
Examination structure: The examination is conducted according to the following plan:
(A) Two papers of 200 marks and two hours duration each on Medical Science subjects. The questions are of multiple-choice type.
(B) Personality Test of candidates who qualify in the written examination.
The notification for the examination is published in August and the examination is held in January. You can contact:
Union Public Service Commission,
New Delhi 110 011.
3. You can definitely join WHO, UNICEF or any other such NGO. For recruitment, these organisations generally publish advertisement in leading newspapers. Forced applications generally do not help.
4. A diploma in HR won’t help you. A post graduate qualification in Hospital Management/Administration will be a good idea.
5. As far as your present job is concerned, we do not know of any departmental examination you can take.