Client Service Executive Career Information
What a Client Service Executive does
Client Service Executive: As the name explains, you will act as the bridge between the client and the agency. You will speak to the client to get a brief understanding of what he/she wants. In addition you will also study the market for the product or service for which the advertisement is being made, analyse market dynamics, target customers, their needs and behavioural patterns, the competing product, buying patterns of customers and various other market related factors.
After going through the entire process the Client Service Executive then prepares the brief which will be used by the creative, account planning, and media planning department of the agency. Over cups and cups of coffee you'll brainstorm about the product features, the target market and customers, strategy - what the ad will speak, how it will speak and other relevant details to decide the right concept for the advertisement.
It will then be taken over by the creative people, visualisers and the media-planning department who will prepare a presentation for the client. It is only after the client's approval that the ad lands at the production table. Client servicing executives are also called Account Executives.
As a trainee in this department you will report to the Vice President – Accounts or an Accounts Director. The top boss plans business expansion (bringing in more clients by approaching various companies), implements the plans with the help of Account Executives; and controls all the activities. His basic duty is to coordinate all the activities relating to development and implementation of advertising campaigns.
Just under the Vice President/Director - Accounts are senior and junior Account Executives. In big agencies there may be a few Account Supervisors who look after big corporate accounts.
Ranking wise Account Supervisors are directly below the Vice President/ Director - Accounts. A number of Account Executives report to the Account Supervisors. You'll interact daily with existing as well as new clients.
Some big agencies also have a different department called Account Planning department headed by Senior Manager/Manager - Account Planning. Senior Account Executives get to work here.
Here, you'll develop long-term advertising campaigns for big clients.
As a Client Service Executive have several options to choose from:
• Advertising agencies
• Marketing departments of various large companies
• Creative Consultants
• Advertisement and marketing departments of media companies
In any of these companies, you can get an entry-level job as a Management Trainee/Executive Trainee/Trainee Account Executive.
Career Prospects of a Client Service Executive: Do we really have to tell you about the prospects in this industry? You must have gauged it by just going through the number of ads appearing on television and newspapers. The need for trained people in the advertising industry is always on the rise. Don't take our word for it - just go through these facts:
• Companies in the IT and insurance are investing a lot of money on advertising. Not to mention the traditional spenders like the FMCG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods like soaps, detergents, salt, cooking oils, etc.) sector.
• Internet as a medium of advertising is fast gaining popularity.
• The growth in the industry has pushed the need for manpower. The industry pundits are also predicting a positive growth in the industry over the next 5 years.
• With the growth in digital medium like multimedia, which uses advanced technology to develop communication tools and materials, the demand for skilled Client Service Executive is on the rise.
• Advertising professionals can also move into the marketing department of a corporate house in a mainstream industry. For instance, an Account Executive with 4-5 years of experience can work as a Brand Manager in a FMCG company.
Abilities & Traits Required
Requirements of a Client Service Executive:
• Above average reasoning skills to be able to convince the client of your idea.
• Very strong communication skills
• Ability to interpret the client's brief
• Creative - ability to come up with newer ideas
• Ability to express yourself clearly
• Ability to lead a team
• Good organising abilities
• Ability to take initiatives
• To be able to put yourself in the person's shoes you are creating the ad for
• Ability to work hard, be patient and tactful
• Ability to work in a team
• Willingness to work long hours
Educational & Professional Background of a Client Service Executive:
To get into client servicing/Account Planning Department of an ad agency you need to be a:
• MBA from a reputed institute
• Post Graduation in Advertising or communication with specialisation in Account Planning/Client Servicing
• Graduate or postgraduates in Liberal Arts or any subject
• Experienced marketing professional with experience in product Management or Marketing Management
• Experienced Marketing/Business Consultants
Client Service Executive with MBA background from a reputed institute can expect Rs 240000 - 450000 or more per annum, as starting salary in big agencies and large companies. Medium size agencies and companies would pay approximately Rs 120000 – 175000. Small sized agencies and companies would be willing to shell out Rs 80,000 – 120000 as a starting salary.
Junior Account Executive in big agencies is likely to earn Rs 300000 - 350000 per annum. Senior Executive earn around Rs 600000 p.a in big agencies plus perks like a car. An Account Supervisor earns almost as same as a Senior Executive. Vice President/Account Director: Rs 800000 - 1200000 per year plus perks.