Home Science Professional Career Information
What a Home Science Professional does
This is one of the few careers that can be called as both a science and an art. So, even though you might get a BSc degree in Home Science, it will also be an evidence of your aesthetic sense and creativity. From a nonprofessional’s point of view, this career might seem all about household chores, but it entails much more than that. This field involves basics from various subjects, as diverse as physics, chemistry, physiology, biology, economics, art, hygiene, rural development, child development, sociology, food, nutrition, textiles and home management.
A career in home science might also be a good option for those interested in nutrition and food technology Career opportunities are excellent. This field offers specializations in a number of subjects such as:
• Child Development
• Food & Nutrition
• Home management
• Child Development & Family Welfare
• Food Science/ Technology
• Clothing & Textile
• Community Resources Management
• Human Development
• Home Economics, etc.
According to the specialization, different job opportunities exist in:
• Catering departments of hotels, resorts, flight kitchens, guest houses, etc.
• Industrial canteens and residential schools
• Food processing industries
• As a nutritionist/dietician in hospitals, nursing homes or clinics
• As a nutritionist/dietician in NGOs, public health departments or government agencies, etc.
• Food research institutions
• Child development clinics
• FMCG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods Co.) companies like Procter & Gamble, SmithklineBeechan, Hindustan Lever,etc.
• Consumer research organizations
• NGOs working in the sectors of community development sector and social welfare
• Family welfare/counseling clinics
• Schools , colleges , and universities
• Textile and garment industry
All these industries related to the field of home science, such as hospitality, healthcare, food processing and so on are growing rapidly, creating newer employment opportunities for specialized professionals.
Apart from working with a company, degree holders in home science can start their own businesses, which is quite a lucrative option. Other options include hosting TV shows, contributing guest columns to newspapers/magazines and becoming a consultant after gathering few years of experience.
Home science professionals can also opt for further research in the field and take up teaching jobs. The employment opportunities that exist for people in this field are quite extensive.
Abilities & Traits Required
As home science deals with the most essential aspects of housekeeping, it requires a lot of skill, scientific knowledge of the specific subject, creative thinking and a rational attitude at the same time. Good communication skills and artistic visualization are also important in this profession.
In this field, you can develop a career on various verticals. However, quite often, companies ask for a Masters degree/diploma in the concerned subject.
Home Science as a subject can also be opted for during 10 + 2. Students can go for a BSc degree in home science after completing 10 + 2 in the science stream. A graduate degree in one of the fields of home science is preferred for a Masters degree/diploma.
One’s income after a degree/diploma in home science will vary depending on the specialization, industry, job profile and kind of organization.
A beginner can expect to start with a salary of around Rs 15000 per month after completing a degree in home science. This figure can go up to any amount with experience and success.