Software Engineer Career Information
What a Software Engineer does
As a Software Engineer your job begins with researching specific problems and investigating ways in which computers can be programmed to perform certain functions. Then you have to develop software applications customised to the needs and desires of the business or organisation you are catering to.
Software Engineers working for a particular industry are expected to have a certain level of proficiency in the functions of that industry. The nature of the job of a software engineer thus, differs from industry to industry and project to project.
As a Software Engineer, you will be required to first visit the client's office to note the problem. Then you can either work from the comforts of your office or at the client's office. The job involves drawing up a detailed proposal, which includes estimates of time and cost allocations.
Delivering what the brass wants can be quite stressful. Expectations have mushroomed and as soon as the boss knows it can be done he wants it done yesterday. This job calls for long hours.
BE/ BTech from top engineering institutions and MCAs from reputed universities can work in companies providing e-business solutions and innovative customised software for clients around the globe like:
• Advanced QSoft –Bangalore
• AmSoft Information Services-is a total software solution provider, Bangalore
• Birla Consultancy & Software Services-Mumbai
• Eastern Software Systems Ltd-India's premier e-business software provider
• Faculties India-Bangalore
• Fast Forward Systems India Pvt Ltd-Singapore, Bangalore, US
• Global Software Solutions, Inc.-Hyderabad
• Goldstone Softech Ltd.-Secunderabad
• GSSL, Pune
• Hughes Software Systems-Delhi
• IDC India-Bangalore,Chennai,Delhi, Mumbai
• IT Solutions (India) Pvt Ltd-Bangalore, USA, UK
• IntercopeIndia Pvt Ltd-Bangalore
• Microsoft India
• Michigan Indian Community Market Place and network guide
• Nucleus Software Offshore Limited-internet technologies and banking software experts, Mumbai
• Pennar Infotech Limited-Hyderabad
Software is perhaps the only industry where the export industry eclipses the domestic one. India is currently one of the dominant players in the global IT scenario.
The current wave is big enough that those catching a ride on it will see opportunities and earnings continue to increase. Working abroad and earning in dollars seems to be one the attractions in this field.
Abilities & Traits Required
A successful Software Engineer should have good communications skills, strong technical knowledge and an eagerness to meet the challenge of working with new technologies. Practical experience is most important here. Prospective employers will be more eager to know the projects you have successfully handled than the names of the courses you have cleared.
Technology changes rapidly in this field, so continuous study and learning are part of a professional's life.
You have to learn to listen carefully for the distinction between what people want and what people need from their computer systems.
Flexibility, strong interpersonal skills, and a friendly disposition are highly valued traits in this industry.
For entry as a Software engineer you must have completed one of the following courses:
• A four-year degree course in BE Computer Science, BTech Computer Science, BE Information Technology, BTech Information Technology
• Four-year undergraduate course in Information Technology
• Three-year BSc Computer Science or Bachelor of Computer Science
• Three-year bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA)
• Three-year Master in Computer Applications (MCA)
• Four-year Bachelor of Information Science
• Four-year Bachelor of Information Technology (BSc IT)
• Three-semester MTech in IT
• Two-year Master's in Informatics/Information Technology/ computer Science, etc.
• DOEACC Society: O, A, B and C, level, courses. B level, is considered equivalent to MCA and C level to an MTech. Electronics/other engineers can make a bid too. A three-year B Sc in computer Science could be the base for proceeding to post graduation in computer Science or Computer Applications.
Commercial certifications from Microsoft, Novell, Oracle, etc are popular with professionals. There are numerous private computer classes that teach the subjects. It is wiser to speak to the students of these classes before you secure admission. Find out if the syllabus and faculty are good.
BE/BTechs from top engineering institutions and MCAs from reputed universities get the cream of the jobs. In a multinational company salaries are in the range of Rs 30000-40000.
However, in a small to middle range company the range could be Rs 20000-25000.