Madras Veterinary College was started on 01.10.1903. The “Dobbin Hall” was the only building available for it when there were 20 students on roll. The veterinary course was then spread over a period of 3 years and the diploma awarded was GMVC (Graduate of Madras Veterinary College). Though started as the 4th veterinary institution in the country, Madras Veterinary College was the first veterinary institution to get affiliated to a University and soon it became a constituent college of the University of Madras in 1935. The degree of Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc.) was offered thereafter.