Nawab mumtaz Yarud Dowla, Established the Asafia School in the year 1896. A Prince among Education Philanthrophists Nawab Sahed Devoted himself entirely to the cause and unabated zeal with which the Nawab Sahed worked towards the Progress of the institution stands Unparalleled. To build the educational Institution he collected donations, but to maintain them he created a waqf of about half of his private Property.
Mumtaz College was formed in the year 1957 by the trustees of mumtaz Yarud Dowla wakf. His dearest wishes were fulfilled when the college was affiliated to osmania University as a science college in 1957
Set in Spacious grounds Mumtaz College is ideally situated in an atmosphere of calm and seclusion, to cater to the ever increasing educational needs of the citizens of Hyderabad. The botanical garden in the quardrangle adds beauty and grandeur to its campus. From the point of buildings and grounds it is second to none.
The College has well equipped and Spacious laboratories for Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology & Geology with latest aparatus added to it every year. The Physical Sciences Block was constructed at a cost of more than one lakh rupees in the year 1961 and was decalared open by the Nizam Nawab Mir Barkat Ali Khan, Asaf jah VIII. Later in the year 1968 first floor was added to this block at a cost of approximately one lakh twenty five thousand rupees.
In the year 1972-73 the construction of the block for biological Science, Museum and Geology was completed at a cost of more than three lakh rupees.
The College has a well Stocked Library and a Reading Room attached to it. The College has also spacious grounds for basket ball and volleyball courts and field games and other sports activities.
Till the year 1969 the courses of study were P.U.C. and B.Sc. In English Medium only. with the introduction of the new scheme for reorganization of education with regional language as the medium of Instruction, two-year Intermediate classes were started in 1969-70, with English and Urdu Media. Lateron Urdu as medium of Instruction , was introduced for the B.Sc. Course as well. The first batch appeared for their Examination in March 1974.
A new Structural course of B.Sc Electronics was introduced in the academic year 1981-82. The Department is fully equipped with men and materials and the government has been kind enough to extend grant to his department within 3 years.
A New Chapter was added to the history of mumtaz college when B.com was introduced as self funded course in 1991-92. It has well qualified lecturers and spacious class rooms to cater to the ever increasing demand for graduation in commerce. An additional optional B.com (Computer) was also introduced later computer department was formed in 1990 as self financing course to fulfill the requirement of our students who wanted to learn computer to make a career.
So far the college had B.Sc. with B.Z.C., B.C.G., M.P.C., M.P.E., M.P.Cs. but with the introduced of industrial Microbiology in 1997 the students of the latest developments Mumtaz college became a degree and P.G. College in 2006 when M.Sc. Microbiology was Introduced.
The yeoman services rendered to this institution by late Prof. Habibur Rahman, former Hon. Secretary of the waqf and college and late Prof M. Khalilur Rahman deserve to be recorded in the history of this college from 1962-1972 and by dint of his efforts made this infant institution one the premiere centres of higher education in the twin cities. He devoted all his time and energies to the development of this institution. He was the moving spirit behind all the activities of the college.
May the shining example of Nawab Mumtaz Yarud Dowla serve as a becon to our People and specially to the aluminae of our college and may a strong sense of discipline and national integration be their watchword.