Sivanath Sastri College owes its origin to the City College, Calcutta, which is one of the oldest first- grade colleges in Bengal. The City College was founded in the year 1879 by a band of patriotic and dedicated workers headed by Late Ananda Mohan Bose, It has a long record of brilliant results and this claim is evident from its alumni crowded by many great and nobel daughters of Bengal.
The Commerce Dept. of the College was inaugurated in 1939 and South Calcutta Branch of the Commerce Dept. started in 1946 as an emergency measure to provide facilities to South Calcutta students. The morning classes for women were started in South Calcutta Branch in 1955. This unit named after the hallowed memory of Late Pandit Sivanath Sastri, an illustrious son of Bengal, was separately affiliated in 1961 to the Calcutta University.
Since then the College has had no occasion to look back. Expansion in all branches of its activities took place steadily and regularly. New subjects were introduced and many of them with Honours teaching affiliations. Soon the reputation of the institution spread far and wide with long and sustained record. During the brief period of 50 years, this Women’s Branch has been catering immensely to the growing needs of the women students, many of whom might otherwise have been deprived of higher education.
Besides imparting instruction in the humanities and a few science subjects it has arrangements for full-fledge commerce education up to the Degree standard. The success of all the arrangements has been amply borne out by the long and sustained record to brilliant achievements of the students if the College in all University Examinations. Though the College Governed by a separate Governing body, it is under control of the Central Council of the Brahmo Samaj Education Society in the matter of policy, operation and co-ordination.