The Government College of Technology, Coimbatore formerly known as the Arthur Hope College of Technology, was started in July 1945 in accordance with the general policy of the then Government of Madras to give high priority to technical education under the post-war reconstruction schemes in order to meet the demand for trained engineers for various industrial and development projects in the State and the rest of India.
The offer of the premises including offices and portions of the workshop and Hostel of the National Electric Works free of rent for a period of three years together with a donation of Rs. 2,00,000 by the well-known industrialist and philanthropist of Coimbatore the Late G.D. Naidu, enabled the college to be started in July 1945.
The College was afterwards shifted to the present permanent site of about 45 hectares on the Thadagam Road in June 1950.
The College was then renamed Government College of Technology and was affiliated to the University of Madras in 1951.Though initially only Civil and Electrical Engineering branches were offered the Mechanical Engineering branch was introduced in the year 1952.
The main building of the College was formally opened by Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, the then Vice President of India on 8th October 1959 .
The Syllabus for Engineering Studies was revised and the five - year Semester System was introduced from the academic year 1968 - 69.
The three-year B.E. Degree course for B.Sc., graduates was introduced in the year 1963-64 in Civil and Mechanical Engineering branches but was subsequently abolished. A new, branch in Electronics and Communication Engineering was started in the academic year 1970 - 71.Post graduate degree courses in Structural Engineering (Civil) & Engineering Design (Mechanical) were started during 1971.
Part-time B.E. Degree courses for serving Engineers (Diploma holders) were also started during the same year in Civil, Mechanical and Electrical branches. The B.E. degree course in Production Engineering was introduced during 1978-79.
Consequently on the introduction of the 10+2 Scheme, admission to the Five Year B.E. Degree course ceased from the academic year 1980 - 81 and the Four year B.E. Degree courses have been started.
A Post-graduate degree course in applied Electronics (Digital Electronics) and a Post-graduate degree course in Production Engineering were started during 1980-81. The M.E. Degree course in Public Health Engineering was started during 1981-82. The instrumentation and Control Engineering branch in the U.G. Programme was started during 1984 - 85. Subsequently, the nomenclature has been changed as Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering.
B.E. Degree course in Computer Technology and Informatics was started during the year 1986-87. The nomenclature has since been changed to Computer Science & Engineering. A Post Graduate degree in M.E. Computer Science (PT) was started in the academic year 1987-88 and (FT) in 1990 - 91.
B.E. degree course in Information Technology has been introduced from the academic year 2001 - 2002. All the UG and PG courses are affiliated to the Anna University with effect from the acadamic year 2001 - 2002. Consequently, six new PG courses have been started in various disciplines, in addition to a self-supporting course in Biotechnology at the UG level.
The college is recognised by the Anna University for doing Doctoral work in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering and Applied Chemistry and Physics. Thus from a humble beginning, the College has grown into a premier institution for Engineering Education in this part of the Country. The College has now completed 62 fruitful years of service and the Golden Jubilee Celebrations were conducted during 1994-95.