Every institution has a story to tell.So also, the Wesley College has its story, with its beginning back to a primary School. The Wesleyan Methodist Missionary Society, London, established its Christian Work in Hyderabad, the capital city of the erst while state of the Nizam of Hyderabad in the year 1879. Secunderabd , was then under the administrative control of the British Cantonment.
Although the missionaries were primarily concerned with Evangelism their attention was drawn to the inadequacy of opputunities for promoting general education, specially among girls . Therefore a century ago they opend a number of primary schools in secunderabd and Hyderabad.One of them functioning on mission School Street , later known as Ghasmandi,blossomed into a Government recognized Middle School by the turn of this century in 1905. The Middle School gradually gained such popularity that it became necessary for it to be shifted to a new and spacious premises . Accordingly, it moved to its present site on Prenderghast Road in1910 and was later upgraded into a High Shool . There after the school had asteady multidimensional progress in academic work , sports and games ,discipline and moral values . It was a school very much sought after by the residents of Secunderabad, as it had the good fortune of being served by eminent educationist-missionaries. It occupied a prominent place among the institutions of the Wesleyan Mission in the then Nizam’s Dominion. The Year 1947 brought important changes in the history of our nation as well as the church of South India . With the attainment of freedom in August 1947, the methodist Churches of British connection joined the wider Church in South India in September 1947 to form the church of South India. Theses changes were instrumental in passing on the leadership onto the natives.Hence , from 1951 onwards native Christians took over the onerousness of administration and management of this institution . In 1995, this institution was upgraded into a Multi-purpose Higher Secondary School and later into a Junior College in 1970 in accordance with the changed educational policy of the Andhra Pradesh Government Medak Diocessan Council of the church of South India had been making efforts from about last two decades to open a Christian college in cooperation with other churches in Hyderabad . The Diocesan Council decided to upgrade the Wesley Junior College into Degree College. The State Government was pleased to accord permission to open the Wesley Boy’s Degree College with courses in Arts and Commerce in 1984 and Sciences in 1986.
It is matter of pride and honour that two of our Weslyans Chandra Shekar Of Arts faculty and Tapasvy Gupta of commerce faculty bagged gold medals in 1988 and 1992 respectively for their outstanding performance in the University Examinations . We feel immensely a happy to state that P.Bala Prasad of B.Sc., (M.P. Comp. Science), Secured 8th Rank in the University annual examinationa of 1995. The achievements of our students were no lesss impressive in Games , Sports, NCC and Literacy activities. They participated in several intercollegiate and inter-University competitions and tournaments and brought laurels to the institution. One more combination B.Sc., (Vocational) comprising of Mathematics, Computer Maintainance was introduced during the academic Year 1997-98. This is the only college offering this course in the entire O.U . Besides learning the theoretical part, the students are exposed to one month practical training in software as well in Hardware during summer. From the academic 2005-2006 our college is renamed as Wesley Degree College (Co-Education) Extending facilities to the girl students of the society