Hey, get clarity with these steps!
0% Clarity
Your Clarity Percentage is

    My Tests

I am doing my engineering in electronics & communication engg. (III year). I want to join Indian army. Would you please suggest me on how to go about it. Also can you give me details of CDS exam and some books useful for the exam. I have NCC 'A'. certificate. Can I get any benefit as a son of an army personnel. My father is still working in Indian army as a J.C.O. (subedar major). My date of birth is 26 December 1981.

Pratyush Patel
created: 22nd Mar 2017 Last Modified: 27th Mar 2017
Conversations: 1

1 Comment

YoungBuzz Career Counsellor
created: 22nd Mar 2017 Last Modified: 27th Mar 2017

You can join the Indian Army after your graduation through the Technical Graduate Course (TGC) scheme, the University Entrance Scheme (UES) or the Short Service Commission (Technical) scheme.

Age limit for these three types of entry is between 19-26 years. B. E/ B.Tech or its equivalent is the minimum educational requirement.

Through the above schemes you will be absorbed in the engineering branches of the Indian Army.

Selection process: At first candidates are short-listed on the basis of marks obtained in their degree courses or through a campus interview in the case of the UES. They are then required to undergo a SSB (Service Selection Board) interview including group test, psychological test & interview. After clearing that, candidates have to pass a medical test.

Notifications for these entry schemes are published in the month of May/June in Employment News and other leading newspapers.

The Combined Defence Service Exam (CDSE) on the other hand is open to all graduates for all branches of the army. It is a written exam consisting of questions in English, General Knowledge and Elementary Mathematics. The examination is generally held twice a year in September and March and the notification is published in April and October in all the leading dailies. On clearing this exam the same selection procedure as above is followed.

Your NCC A certificate is not of much use as one needs a minimum of B grade in the C certificate examination to avail of the special entry scheme for NCC cadets. As a son of an army personnel, you dont get any advantage in the recruitment process but on completion of your training, you can put up a Parental Claim and get the option of being commissioned into the regiment in which your father is serving.