I wish to work in the Hotel Industry but do no know which department? Please help me decide.
The hotel industry is basically a service industry. A hotel management graduate can either work for a star rated hotel, restaurant, club, resort, motel, catering department, cruise liners or airlines. As you rightly pointed out there are different departments in a hotel. Some of them are:
• Front Office: A front office professional is at the centre of all activities. Major tasks performed are providing information about services to the guests, making reservations, preparing bills for the guests and handling check-ins and check-outs.
• Food and Beverage services: This is the hub of the hotel industry and is responsible for all the food prepared and served in the hotel. It involves working inside the kitchen, at the restaurants and the bars or serving the customers in rooms.
• Housekeeping: Functions include making sure that the rooms are kept in order and all the needs of the guests are met. It could be laundry, providing up-to-date room service, addressing clients’ immediate needs, calls for the customers etc.
• Sales And Marketing: A sales and marketing executive in a hospitality set-up interacts with travel agents, tour operators as well as corporate clients to promote the hotel. They are also involved in advertising and public relations.
• Guest Relations Executives: Guest relations are a blend of coordination, customer relations, marketing and public relations. They make sure that the guests are well looked after.
• Accommodation Operations: Accommodation operations professionals are involved in managing the entire operations of keeping the rooms ready for occupation.